Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Language of Flowers- Bookish Thoughts #18



What The Language of Flowers is about:

The Victorian language of flowers was used to convey romantic expressions: honeysuckle for devotion, asters for patience, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it’s been more useful in communicating grief, mistrust, and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster-care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings.

Now eighteen and emancipated from the system, Victoria has nowhere to go and sleeps in a public park, where she plants a small garden of her own. Soon a local florist discovers her talents, and Victoria realizes she has a gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But a mysterious vendor at the flower market has her questioning what’s been missing in her life, and when she’s forced to confront a painful secret from her past, she must decide whether it’s worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness

Why I Wanted to read it: Because so many of my trusted book friends raved about this one!

Source: My Library

  • I never knew that flowers could convey so many feelings and be interpreted in many ways.
  • I loved the way the author took the reader back in time to when Victoria was younger and then the next chapter being in the here and now. 
  • Reading about Victoria being bounced from home to home broke my heart...unfortunately, I know a lot of kids like Victoria.
  • I thought the story was beautifully executed and when I wasn't reading the book I was thinking about it and what would happen next. I absolutely loved how the flowers were their own character in this story...it was such an unique way to bring all of the story lines together.

I am so glad that I belong to such a wonderful community of book lovers! If I hadn't read glowing review after glowing review from Laurel-Rain, Ti, Sheree, and Diane, I might not have experienced this fantastic debut novel!!

Bookish Thoughts #18
© 2012, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission. 

29 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I really liked it too. I also really like how you set out your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Staci, and thanks for the mention above.

    I hope to reread it someday, when I have some more time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this book for Christmas, but haven't read it yet. I'm excited for it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this too, in fact, I want to reread it. I loved the info on the flowers. And a lot of reviewers don't talk about the foster home part but I too thought that was very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked it! I was really impressed with it. That whole scene where she is breastfeeding and having all that trouble... good GAWD it's as if the author wrote that after peeking into my house when my daughter was just a baby. I had such trouble. I swear, I almost began to lactate just reading that part. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one on my tbr list. Sounds wonderful. I'll have to move it up the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a fun book to read especially being a gardener! Thee are however different books that give different meanings to the flowers! Yellow roses mean jealousy for one, and means friendship for another. Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have got to read this book this year!! Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this one too! I thought it was beautifully written and while it broke my heart at times, Victoria is such a fighter. I loved that about her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to see you loved it too. I'll be reading this for my book club this month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard a lot about this one. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kind of gave up...but since you liked it so much I will give it another go one day

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds fantastic. I definitely will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a really good read! I actually hadn't heard of this one but of course I'm adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know. When I finally get around to reading this it will be because of book bloggers recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember studying the language of flowers in school for some literature class...it was so interesting how flowers could convey so many emotions without the giver saying one word. Thanks for the review...this one is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A cheerier book -well, really series- that deals with flowers and their meanings might be in your school library. The Enola Holmes books by Nancy Springer. I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All these great review make me want to read it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sad to say that after all the hype, this one failed me. In the long run, I thought it was okay, but I don't have good memories of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just posted a comment...having trouble commenting today at blogspot and WP. I just read this book this month with my book club. I thought it was fantastic as well and highlighted the issue of children in foster care as well as the connection and bonding issues. I like how the author connected the two to flowers. My book club was split on this book, I think it is more of a book club issue focusing on the negative in a book rather than was is good about a book.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also enjoyed this one. I listened to it, it read a little slow, could have been two hours faster. :)

    At the end, I was happy with how the book ended.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woohoo so glad you enjoyed it. I adored the use of flowers, like you said they came across as a character in the book and Victoria's story was heartbreakingly real.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's now on my list of must-reads. Loved reading your bookish thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was definitely a beautiful and heartbreaking read.

    ♥Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read this one yet but it's on my list. I'm with you - if so many people love it, I want to read it too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I too have heard so many good things about this book. I picked it up a while back and really need to make time for it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I read this book too based on blogger reviews and wasn't disappointed!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!